number10_887488

Source: Westmorland

L-r: Local residents Steve crook and Charlotte Iniff; Tim Farron MP, Sarah Dunning, and Jonathan Capper, managing director Lyon Equipment

Service station operator Sarah Dunning says a meeting with National Highways this week indicates “great progress” in the campaign to stop the J38 on the M6 in Cumbria being partially closed for four years.

At a meeting on Tuesday evening the agency that is responsible for motorways and major roads in England told the group of 50 locals it plans a full review of the project, including engaging with local communities.

That means that “no option is off the table”, says Dunning, who is chair of the Westmorland chain of motorway service sites and describes the decision as “a big move”. One of its facilities is a truckstop near the junction.

The gathering in Tebay village was attended by Chris Welby-Everard and Paul Hampson from National Highways, who said a technical review with engineers would run until autumn. This would include input from Westmorland’s engineer BWD. Then a formal public consultation would take place with the local community.

The original plan was for J38 to be closed in one direction for four years from spring 2027 to spring 2031, starting with the southbound exit for two years, for essential bridge repair work.

Dunning, whose group runs outlets at Tebay and Gloucester among others, has been a leading face of the campaign for over a year, explaining how this would be disastrous for local businesses, including Westmorland’s 80-bay Junction 38 Truckstop.

Tens of people gathered in Kirkby Stephen earlier this year to protest against the plans, which they say would affect almost every aspect of daily life across Tebay, Orton, Kirkby Stephen, Kendal and surrounding villages.

Screenshot 2026-05-22 102257

Source: Westmorland 

Locals gathered in Kirkby Stephen earlier this year to protest against the plans

In January, together with Tim Farron, MP for Westmorland and Londsdale, residents’ representatves, and a fellow business owner, Dunning presented an 8,000-signature petition to 10 Downing Street, calling for J38 to be kept fully open throughout the work.

She is cautiously pleased with Tuesday’s outcome. “No option is off the table and that opens the alternative opportunity that J38 could be fully operational throughout the period,” says Dunning.

“We really welcome the commitment to work collaboratively and to reconsider all options, and to accept that the community is at the heart of the decision making.

“But our objective remains for J38 to remain fully open to protect the community. While we are not there yet, this is a great step in the right direction.”

A press statement sent out by the campaign group quotes National Highways as saying: “Having engaged and listened to feedback, we will undertake a full review of how this important project will be delivered.

“We recognise the importance of working with local communities and businesses to explore opportunities that could help reduce disruption while construction work takes place.”