Powerswap AB, a Swedish start-up, believes it has come up with a radical solution for charging electric vehicles.
Instead of connecting the cord and waiting for the car to be charged, the battery is replaced with the help of a robotic device in three minutes.
“Our solution is in many ways revolutionary and will change the way we think about EV charging,” said Sten Corfitsen, founder of Powerswap.
The technical concept was created with the goal of using the already well-established refuelling infrastructure of petrol stations.
“It is better if we do not have to establish a completely new infrastructure just because we want to use EVs instead of fossil fuel cars. By installing robotic swap units at petrol stations and parking lots, we will gain a cost-efficient solution for the transition to a dominant electric transport sector,” said Corfitsen.
“I am confident we have created something that will lead to faster expansion for EVs. Taxi companies and other transportation fleets are suitable niches for our introduction because their operations have no time available for prolonged charging. We have received a letter of intent from Taxi Stockholm, the biggest taxi company in Sweden.”
Powerswap says the advantages of automatic battery swap are:
• No time needed for charging; faster than filling a petrol car;
• The car is not out of use during “refuelling” (charging);
• The EV can be sold without the battery, which will make the price of an EV less than that of a fossil fuel car. The battery will be leased and can be renewed when enhanced technology is available;
• An infrastructure will be built without the need for thousands of public charging poles;
• The stress on the battery is significantly reduced, as batteries are given a suitable amount of time for charging, which lowers the peaks in demand and the stress on the grid.
00 46 8 22 40 00