Confectionery is one of the top categories purchased on impulse in forecourts. However, following HFSS regulations and now the cost-of-living crisis, there are multiple challenges for the category to face. Find out how to boost you sweet sales as Perfetti Van Melle and other manufacturers have diversified their product offerings.
The total UK sugar confectionery market is now worth £1.6bn and forms a resilient category as it delivers lifts and treats for consumers. As the challenging economic landscape continues, confectionery remains an affordable treat, giving forecourt retailers a compelling sales generator.
However, choice is king; consumers are hungry for options in this space – be that in flavours, textures, formats or sizes. Familiar brand names are hallmarks of quality that also allow shoppers to have confidence when it comes to trying NPD, so retailers should ensure they stock perennial ‘core’ favourites.
Lean into snacking
Confectionery is part of the £40bn snacking business, competing with cakes, biscuits, fruit, and ice cream, so it’s a crowded space. As an efficient sales driver that takes up very minimal space, confectionery is a key category for forecourts. Confectionery is also one of the most impulse-driven purchases in the snacking category, bolstered by its low price point.
Mark Roberts, marketing and trade marketing director at Perfetti Van Melle UK, says: “The sweets category in forecourts is up +7.8% this year vs the year before (Euromonitor), therefore it is important forecourt retailers are continuing to stock the best-selling products. Over the past twelve months we have seen growth across our whole portfolio within forecourt stores.”
Perfetti Van Melle is the second-largest sugar confectionery manufacturer in the world (Euromonitor), with its portfolio of household brands – including Mentos, Fruittella, Chupa Chups, and Smint – being worth over £100m. As sugar confectionery experts, the company knows exactly what shoppers are looking for.
Appeal to all your customers
Forecourts have some of the most diverse customer bases of all retail outlets, from families on a road trip through to individual workers on their daily commute.
All have different need states, so it is advisable to offer a full range of solutions – be that large sharing bags to keep a family going on a long drive, or a bottle of Mentos Pure Fresh Gum for a commuter to stash in their car cup holder for easy access to a little hit of refreshment whenever they might need it.
For a moment of instant freshness in one hit as they head into an important meeting or catch-up with friends, Smint is the solution. Being the leading sugar free sweet brand in sweets within forecourts and the UK’s number one sugar free mint, this is a must stock for your on-the-go customers.
Own-label confectionery products are in decline – when every penny counts, shoppers turn to brands with heritage and longevity for products they know will deliver on taste and not go to waste. For example, the parents who are now buying Fruit-tella for their families also grew up on the product, and they still have access to the same product at the core of the range, but also new variants, as Perfetti Van Melle and other manufacturers have diversified their product offerings.
HFSS in forecourts
Confectionery is one of the top categories purchased on impulse in forecourts. However, following HFSS regulations and now the cost-of-living crisis, there are multiple challenges for the category to face. As health concerns remain a priority for all, sugar-free alternatives allow people to make their own choices.
When stocking HFSS:
- Create a seasonal section of the store to stock and merchandise core best sellers
- Encourage visibility and have free standing displays around the tills stocking HFSS compliant products
- Taste credentials are important here, make sure to have a range of flavours on offer across each product
“Offering a full range that supports the government’s HFSS guidelines and is under 150kcal per pack something most manufacturers can’t offer – gives Perfetti Van Melle the opportunity to be closer to these impulse purchases,” says Mark. “Perfetti Van Melle also remains the leader within the sugar-free category, with sales continuing to grow month on month.”
In order to help forecourt retailers stock HFSS-compliant products, the company has prioritised HFSS-led innovation rather than ‘tweaking’ existing products. For example, the recently launched HFSS-compliant Fruit-tella Curiosities jellies, launched earlier this year, are made with real fruit juice and natural colourings and flavours.
Confectionery top tips at a glance
- Stock a variety of flavours, textures and formats to offer choice across the leading brands – they provide peace of mind and always sell first
- Remember that visibility is key for sales
- Add signage and POS material for a standout fixture that builds visibility
- Counter-top units should ideally sit at arm’s reach from the main till point to drive impulse sales, while front-of-store POS material that sits at eye level can capture attention and increase impulse purchases
- Talk to your rep about compelling deals such as ‘2 for 1’to maximise the value for money perception among your buyers
- Include sugar-free products in your offering
Why Perfetti Van Melle?
- Fruittella is the highest growing Top 10 sweets brand in forecourts with +36.2% growth in the past 52 weeks vs year before (Circana)
- Mentos is a top 10 sweets brand in forecourts with 16.2% growth in the past 52 weeks vs year before (Circana)
- Smint is the leading sugar-free sweets brand in forecourts, with growth of +24% during the past 52 weeks vs year before (Circana)
- Chupa Chups gum has seen growth in forecourt of 30.5% during the past 52 weeks vs year before (Circana)
- Mentos gum is the fastest-growing top 10 gum brand in forecourts with growth of +32.2% during the past 52 weeks vs year before (Circana)
Find out more here: https://www.perfettivanmelle.com/