Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service

Source: Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service

Petrol station staff and firefighters have been praised for averting a disaster after a motorbike caught fire on a forecourt at Washington, Tyne & Wear.

Firefighters were called at 3:26pm on Tuesday (October 25) to a motorcycle well alight and flames spreading to the nearby petrol pump at the Esso petrol station on Heworth Road in the Concord area of Washington.

Two crews arrived within six minutes, according to the Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS).

After the motorbike burst into flames petrol station staff isolated the petrol pump and firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze within minutes.

Station manager Andy Blower of TWFRS said: “This was a fantastic response from all the staff involved, from the Fire Control staff who took the call to the firefighters who responded, to the petrol station staff who isolated the pump.

“A fire at a petrol station is incredibly dangerous. There is an abundance of flammable materials that could lead to disaster so the speed of the response is crucial.

“The fact that we were on scene in less than six minutes is a testament to those involved but that was just one aspect of our response.

“The firefighters deserve a lot of praise for quickly evacuating the premises and isolating the fuel supply to mitigate against the worst-case scenario.

“Simultaneously we were tackling the flames and within minutes it was fully extinguished without anyone suffering from any serious injuries.

“I want to praise everyone involved in this response, and the staff at the petrol station, for keeping communities in Concord safe.